Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Garlic Hamburger Buns

Today for my Birthday I wanted a Cheeseburger, but I don't eat much beef and I have eliminated a lot of bread from my diet. For my birthday I told myself I was going to eat me a "Momma Burger". For those who don't know what a "Momma Burger" is, it's just a big burger that is made at home. It is thick and juicy and full of flavor, you add tomatoes, onions, mayo, ketchup, mustard, lettuce and for my house bread and butter pickles to a "Momma Burger". They are some of the best burgers that I have ever had. So I am making them for my birthday dinner with my family. Yes I am cooking my own food for my birthday. But the best "Momma Burger" that I have had came from one of my grandmother's. She made her own buns for the burgers. They were big and hearty buns that all you needed was a quarter of the burger and a small plate of chips or fries and you were full. I have changed it a bit by using Garlic mashed potatoes instead of the plain potatoes. If I don't feel like making mashed potatoes I use potato flakes instead, I add that to my flour and mix.





Ingredients:



  • 1 cup garlic mashed potatoes (make them ahead of time)
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 room temperature egg
  • 5 tbsp butter, diced and at room temperature
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup lukewarm water



Directions:


  1. In a large bowl add the flour  Make a well in the middle and pour the 1/4cup of warm water, add the yeast and leave to proof.
  2. Once proofed, add egg, garlic mashed potatoes, butter and salt start mixing
  3. While mixing start to add the half cup warm water slowly to the flour mixture until a soft dough ball forms.
  4. Place dough on floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic like (this is when I put the dough in my ninja sometimes and let it do all the hard work)
  5. Once kneaded place in a oil bowl cover and let sit until double in size (about 2hrs)
  6. Once doubled take out dough and place on floured surface and start dividing into about 8-10 buns (8 if want nice big buns and about 10 if you want normal sized buns)
  7. Place on baking sheet and cover, let sit until doubled in size (about 1 1/2hrs)
  8. During the last 30mins or so of letting the buns rise start your oven to 375
  9. After the buns have doubled place them in the over for 20 - 30mins.
  10. Let cool on baking sheet for about 5min away from heat source then remove and place on wire rack to further cool or serve them warm with your big ole "Momma Burger"

No comments :