Saturday, May 11, 2013

Momma's Fried Chicken Meal

My lovely family had a craving for Fried Chicken and I was none the happier to give it to them. I had been wanting to try my what I call leftover seasoning mix. Yes I said leftover seasoning mix, I have this problem where I put all the seasonings that I am going to use for a recipe in pinch bowls without measuring and then just measuring them out once I need them that way I can tweak the recipe when it needs it without having to go back in my cabinets and grabbing a seasoning with dirty hands. I hate going out of my way so I just put a nice amount in pinch bowls and roll with it. Once i'm done with it instead of just putting them back in their containers I use a glass jar and just throw them all in there. So this left over seasoning mix has a little of everything it. It is a wonderful mix for my chicken so my fried chicken never tastes the same but it always tastes good. The thing that they love about my chicken the most is that it's always crispy.

This go round my family devoured the chicken wings and left me asking where is my piece. I served it up with garlic and herb mashed cauliflower, corn, salad and hot sauce (lots of hot sauce). We finished off the meal with Banana pudding for dessert. 


Momma's Fried Chicken

Ingredients:

  • Family pack chicken wings
  • 2cups Buttermilk
  • 1 tbls Seasoning mix (whatever seasoning mix you use for chicken)
  • 2cups Flour
  • 2tbls Seasoning mix
  • 72oz Peanut oil

Directions:


  1. Clean Chicken wings. Removing any feathers that happen to be left on there. Then pat dry
  2. Place the wings in a nice sized bowl and sprinkle the 1tbls of seasoning mix over the wings and the 2cups of buttermilk and cover and met sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour. (I prep mines early in the day right after breakfast is done in my home.)
  3. Place the 2cups flour in brown paper bag along with the 2tbls of seasoning mix and mix it up so that the seasoning is well blended throughout the flour
  4. Heat the 72oz of peanut oil in a fryer until its hot enough (stick the end of wooden spoon in the oil and if bubbles form around it then the oil is hot enough)
  5. You want to start putting about two to three wings in the flour and shake the bag until well coated
  6. Place the wings gently into the oil and fry them until the first side is nice and golden brown then using tongs, fork or what ever you use to flip them and flip them and let the other side cook until nice and golden brown
  7. Remove and drain on napkins
  8. Repeat with the rest of the chicken wings and then serve

The point of this is not the seasoning but how to get the nice crispy chicken that a lot of people like but without using eggs.



No comments :